Choosing a “real" yogurt in the supermarket with the infinite offer that exists, can become an odyssey…But here’s the secret to find those good and healthy ones.
Ingredients of a real yogurt
- Milk (whole/semi/skimmed or powdered milk)
- Lactic ferments
And nothing else!
Others may have cream (Greek yogurt) or other types of bacteria, such as kefir, and that’s fine.
Yogurt provides proteins of high biological value and high digestibility, healthy fats, carbohydrates, and vitamins and minerals, especially calcium and phosphorus. But if it is not chosen well, it is completely useless.
How do I identify bad “yogurts”? 👿
These yogurts usually contain, in addition to the above ingredients, sugars, colorings, aromas, etc.
Let’s see some examples:
- Non-fat yogurts: without the fat, they are less satiating and many vitamins are lost. They have added sugar or sweeteners and other ingredients, to maintain the good taste and texture of the product.
- Sweetened yogurts: it is advisable to avoid them. If you have not yet read the sweeteners article, I recommend you to do so.
- Yogurts with “bifidus”: they are sold as beneficial products for the intestinal flora, but this has not yet been demonstrated.
How to leave ultra-processed yogurts behind and enjoy real yogurts?
If you find them too acidic, combine them with what you like the most.
Here you have some examples:
- Chopped dried fruit (not keto)
- Raw cocoa powder
- Nuts & Seeds
- Shredded coconut
- Dark chocolate (>85%)
And don’t forget…
🔍 Always read the ingredients list carefully. You will decide what to eat, not the industry.
⚠ Yogurts are NOT essential! If you don’t like them or don’t want to consume them, nothing happens.